Changelings are subtle shapeshifters capable of disguising their appearance. There are two schools of thought on the origin of Changelings: either they evolved through the union of doppelgangers and humans or they are an experiment created by advanced technomagic. In either case, they have now become a separate race (distinct from either ancestral tree if the latter). Changelings do not possess the full shapechanging ability of doppelgangers, but they can create effective disguises at will. This ability makes them consummate spies and criminals, and many changelings live up to that potential.
Changelings in their natural form appear frail with extremely fair skin, which can appear to have gray tints in moonlight. Changelings have large eyes which can be any color, but the most common is gray or silver. Their facial features are slight, their noses tend to be small and round, their lips are usually thin, but in rare cases they may be full and even pouty. Changelings have little to no facial hair and the hair on their heads is soft and fine and is also usually gray, silver or white (though in rare cases it can range in color from pink, to blue, or even green). Changelings are usually slender and their height ranges from 5’0″ – 6’0″, it is rare for females to be taller than 5’4″. Many Changelings choose another form due to their social stigmas, though, and it is rare to see a Changeling in their natural form. Some Changelings have difficulty maintaining one form for too long and this can result in confusion for their companions.
As a changeling, you have the following racial traits.
Ability Score Increase. Charisma score increases by 2, one other ability score of your choice increase by 1.
Age. Changelings mature at the rate as humans, and live just as long.
Alignment. Changelings tend towards neutral alignments. They tend to focus on their own problems, paying little attention to morals and laws. Many follow a personal code of honor, but also share a fierce independence.
Size. Changelings are slightly shorter than most humans, but still in the range of 5 to 6 feet tall. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Body Language. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Deception, Intimidate, or Insight.
Mental Defense. You have advantage on saving throws against charm spells and cannot be put to sleep by magic.
Shapechanger. You can create an effect similar to the spell alter self as your action. This ability modifies your appearance to the same extent as change appearance option of that spell. This transformation ends if you die, but otherwise remains until you use this ability again or you use your action to dismiss it. If you use this ability to turn into a creature you have seen, you have advantage on any check you make to disguise yourself as that creature. A creature can determine that you are transformed by using its action to inspect your appearance and must succeed on an Intelligence (investigation) check. The DC for this check equals 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus. Once you reach 5th level, any Intelligence (investigation) check made to see through this ability is made with disadvantage.
Natural Linguist You can speak, read, and write Common and two extra languages of your choice. You can choose from special languages such as Thieves’ Cant or Druidic even if you don’t belong to those classes.
All of these feats have a prerequisite of Changeling as a race.
- Increase your Charisma by 1, to a maximum of 20.
- You gain advantage on checks to pass yourself off as a person who you have studied (it does not give advantage on forms assumed on the spur of the moment).
- So long as you are under your shapechange effect any attempt to read your mind, detect your alignment, or otherwise detect your thoughts will produce a misleading result of your choice relevant to your current form. While you are not aware of who generated the effect or what spell, power, spell-like, psi-like or supernatural ability they used, you are aware of what information was desired and can decide appropriately. This response does not use an action, even a reaction.
- Pick a race (and subtype if appropriate). When assuming a form of that race using your shapechange power, you gain all of that race’s traits. For example, if you chose Elf (High Elf) you would gain the following traits when you assumed a high elven form: Dex +2, Int +1, Darkvision, Keen Senses, Fey Ancestry, Trance, Speak Common & Elvish & one more, Elf Weapon Training, Cantrip.
- You can be considered a member of the race (and subtype) for any spells, magic items, or other effects that only affect that race.
- When using your shapechange power you can use the other two benefits of Alter Self (Aquatic Adaptation and Natural Weapons). You can stack these benefits with the Change Appearance benefit (though the changes will be apparent to anyone who takes the time to observe you closely).
- You can alter your size to either Small or Large creatures you have seen. When you are Large you do take up a 10 by 10 square, but otherwise retain all the other features of the shapechange ability as before (e.g., you don’t gain reach).
- You can now change your shape as either a normal action or a bonus action.
- If you die, you do not revert to your normal form for 1 hour.